Koufonisia

Nearby Islands



Aegina

GENERAL INFO

Aegina covers an area of 85 square kilometers, a population 11,270 and lies at distance of 17 nautical miles from Piraeus. The present day harbor is the ancient city\'s commercial harbor. Today it is a busy, noisy meeting place of picturesque fishermen selling the day\'s catch and grocers, from whom you can buy fresh fruit and vegetables. Next to the harbor is the ancient town\'s military harbor, which some people have identified it with the naval port.

The main road by the seaside is off limits to vehicles on summer nights. The souvenir shops are busy at all hours of the day. Outstanding, among the island\'s original gift items, are the traditional water - jugs, which are used to carry and keep water cool.

Worth visiting, in the area of the port, is the chapel of Agios Nikolaos Thalassinos. Towards the inner land, there lies a town with some old neo-classical mansions, which have been restored and are now rented to visitors.

In Sp. Rodi Street stands the island\'s Museum of History and Folklore, which holds interesting exhibitions on the island\'s traditional life, as well as art exhibitions, lectures and seminars. 

Close by the church of Agios Nikolaos stands one of the island\'s oldest medieval buildings, the Tower of Marcellus. Nowadays it is used as an exhibition hall. Behind the tower is the old Liberopoulos home. When Aegina became the first capital of modern Greece it has also became the social center of the era. When Palea Hora was destroyed and the capital was moved back to the harbor town, one of the island\'s loveliest churches was erected, the Metropolis, which was built in 1806. Another building dating from Kapodistrias\' era is the rectangular building of the Orphanage, behind the Saronikos playing - field, a huge edifice for its time.

The road leading towards Agios Nektarios passes from the rather unconventional Church of Faneromeni. On the other side of town, on Kolona hill, stands Aegina\'s prehistoric town. The first inhabitants of the area settled there around 3000 BC and the site was not abandoned for 2000 years, in spite of the numerous attacks the inhabitants had to face. The last town was built on the borders of the island\'s present day capital and was fortified with walls. 

During the 4th century AD, all of the temples, and Apollo\'s temple as well, were pulled down as symbols of idolatry. In its place, a large building with a water tank was built.

Unfortunately, Kolona\'s Archaeological Museum has been closed for some time for repairs. Many graves, most of them hewed out of rocks have been found in the area around the town. Kolona\'s beach is a wonderful place to swim, as well as the small sandy bays, which are formed along the seaside road. The seaside road that leads to Plakakia passes in front of the Wild Animal Treatment Center, which cares for animals and birds.

Worth visiting is the chapel of Agii Theodori, also known as Omorfi Eklissia, on the outskirts of town. A short distance to the south, in the Asomati area, stands the "Red Castle" known as the home of the English Historian G. Finley.

Night life in Aegina gets particularly lively during week-ends, when the Athenians travel to the island and in summer there are Atmospheric bars, places proposing live Greek music, pubs and clubs can be found in the capital or in the touristy and busy coastal resorts where the hotels are also located.

Useful Numbers

NAME

PHONE

TOWN HALL OF AEGINA

22970-24444

CITIZEN SERVICE CENTER

22970-26222
22970-26223

INFORMATION DESK

22970-26967

HOSPITAL "SAINT DIONISIOS"

22970-24489
22970-29128

MEDICAL CENTER

22970-22222
22970-22886

LOCAL GP\'S

22970-71390

LOCAL GP\'S

22970-32175

LOCAL POLICE STATION OF AEGINA

22970-23333

LOCAL POLICE MESAGROS-AGIA MARINA

22970-71201

TOURIST POLICE

22970-27777

AEGINA PORT AUTHORITY

22970-22328

AGIA MARINA PORT AUTHORITY

22970-32358

SOUVALA PORT AUTHORITY

22970-52188

FIRE BRIGADE OF AEGINA

22970-22172

FIRE BRIGADE OF AGIOI ASOMATOI

22970-22171

FOREST RANGERS

22970-22912

PORT AUTHORITIES INSURANCE INST.

22970-22272

JUSTICE APARTEMENT

22970-22636

TAX OFFICE OF AEGINA

22970-22633

SOCIAL INSURANCE INSTITUTE

22970-22227

MORTGAGE REGISTRAR

22970-23806

ELECTRICITY COMPANY

22970-22737

TELECOMMUNICATIONS PROVIDEER

22970-22121

EMERGENCY ROAD SERVICE

6974751225-6

POST OFFICE

22970-22398

AGRICULTURAL UNION

22970-26400

MUSEUM OF FOLKLORE HISTORY

22970-26401

ARCHAELOGIC MUSEUM (KOLONA)

22970-22637

HISTORIC - FILE MUSEUM OF AEGINA

22970-26332

PUBLIC GYM

22970-25115

TIMETABLE OF SHIPS

22970-25951

GLYING DOLPHINS

22970-27462

LOCAL BUS SERVICE

22970-22787

TAXI (AEGINA)

22970-22635

TAXI (MESAGROS)

22970-71313

TAXI (SOUVALA)

6944343606

TAXI (KYPSELI)

6932328873

TAXI (AGIA MARINA)

2297032107

AIRPORT "VENIZELOS"

210-3530000

WEATHER FORECAST

1448

SHIP, AIRLINES, RAILWAY, BUS TIMETABLES

1440

POISONING TREATMENT CENTER

210-7793777

WATER TAXI

6944242177
6944535659
6937867785
6972229720




Poros

GENERAL INFO

The word Poros is a geographical term that means a small sea strip which connects two small bays. Indeed, the distance between Poros and the coast across, in the nearest point is only 200m. The ancient authors initially mentioned Poros with the name Irini (peace) probably, because of the peace that dominated the area after the Dorian descent and the disruption of the Mycenaean state.

Poros consists of two islands, which come from two different geological periods, Sphera and Kalavria. Sphera owes its name to Spheros who was buried in the island. Later it was renamed to Iera.

The second island was named Skelerdia and Kalavria, when the town was built around the sanctuary. Kalavria means, good breeze. Maybe, it took this name from Kalavropa Apollo who was worshiped in the island.

Poros covers a distance of 31,3 sq. Km., and population of 4,000 people. It is situated 32 nautical miles from Piraeus. The town is built on two rocky hills of a triangular islet that is called Spheria and it has been characterized as a scheduled settlement. The houses, without any specific architectural plan, are built one next to the other.

The Albanians from the Peloponnese built the first settlements in Casteli. Chased by the Turks they found refuge in this area, in 1463. The small but interesting Archaeological Museum of Poros is situated in Korizi\'s square.

It exhibits findings from the ancient Kalavria and the ancient Troizina. Most of the visitors make the tour of Spheria using the circular road of the island.

Poros has a developed tourist substructure. Modern hotels and rent rooms will serve the visitors. The port of Poros, the center of life of the island, presents a bright and pleasant sight with the anchors, the cannons and the marvelous shops. A festival that no one should miss is the nautical week, which is organized during summer months. 

Telephone Area code+ 22980
Police+30 22980 22256
Tourist Police+30 22980 22462
Port Authority+30 22980 22274
Coastguard+30 22980 22224
Poros Hospital+30 22980 22254, 22662, 22526
Pediatric Clinic+30 22980 22600
City Hall+30 22980 22220/22056
Municipality+30 22980 22250 
Post Office+30 22980 22275
BANKS
National Bank of Greece+30 22980 22236, 22652, 22822
ALPHA Bank+30 22980 25920-4
Agricultural Bank+30 22980 22237, 22023
Commercial Bank+30 22980 26150-3
MORE USEFUL PHONES
National Library of Poros+30 22980 25936
Bus Station+30 22980 22480
Taxi +30 22980 23003
Medical Centre of Galatas+30 22980 22222




Official Rates
All rates come from hotels' official web sites
including special offers and discounts.
Guarantee Booking
Book and pay direct to the hotel of your
choice. There are no hidden costs !
Selected Hotels
Hotels represented are carefully selected in order
to lower the risk of a bad traveller experience